Thursday, March 19, 2009

Say It Out Loud:

Luke Williams is a ridiculous-cool musician. So I'll give a brief history of Luke Williams, possibly the most talented musician I know. The "possibly" comes from the time I met Baby Spice in the late nineties. Since I only 'met' her, I don't know if that counts as 'knowing' her. So for that reason, Luke is the only possibly the best musician I know. Baby Spice's talent just reached so far beyond the bounds of just music. That's why I'm naming my next daughter Baby Spice Belnap. But this blog isn't for singing praises to Baby Spice, it's for telling you about Luke Williams.

So I met Luke when he was like 13 or 14. I think he's like 20ish now. The kid could seriously play the guitar/bass as a 13 year old. I thought, "Hmm, this kid has potential." I thought, "Hmm, maybe I could kidnap this kid and make him play on the streets to get me money and pay him with dirty crack. My plan, unfortunately, never came into fruition; and alas, Luke was discovered by someone else. My first mistake was letting him see face before throwing a gunny sack over his head. I had to play it off like it was just a big gag--ha! gotcha!

Well Luke has now released his first album. It's more of a demo of sorts. And I'm going to be straight with you all right now. When Luke told me about it, I thought, "Yeah, I'm sure it's pretty good. Luke is very talented. He can play a mean guitar." Folks, I di'n't know the half of it. Of course Luke can play. But who thought he could sing? I'm telling you, the kid can sing. I know what you're thinking right now. You're thinking, "Yeah, I'm sure he can sing and play guitar, but there's no way he rocks the accordion." Wrong. He teaches those vertical ivories a lesson every time he picks up his squeeze box. But what do my accolades mean? Nothing. Don't take it from me. Go to his website and download it for free.

But in case you don't feel like doing it right now just based on my word. I've provided a little sample below. This is from my favorite song if his "We Were Wrong". Ridiculous. It was hard for me to choose a one minute clip. You've got to hear it all. But this is a good teaser for you. Thanks, Luke. And well done. I really wish I was cool as you, but I'm unfortunately destined to play Led Zeppelin covers for the rest of my life with my falsetto voice...Hey hey mama said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove...

Sorry. Got distracted by the falsetto voice. I'll get back to Luke. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Bop said...

your a week behind belnap, i'm getting impatient as it were

;]

Ben said...

more to come very soon. I've temporarily fallen off the wagon...as it were.