Thursday, April 16, 2009

Waco, TX

Can you believe that the crazy raid on David Koresh's compound in Waco, TX was already 16 years ago? Where has the time gone? Thanks to my 7th grade social studies teacher, Mrs. Talbot, I followed this story quite closely. The raid on the compound started on February 28, 1993 and came to an end on April 19, 1993 when David Koresh set fire to the place. I don't remember exactly, but I think like 70 or 80 people died altogether, many of whom were children. It's a horrible story and obviously a tragedy.

What really struck me at the time of the raid and ever since, though, was one of the tactics used by the FBI or whoever it was who raided the compound. All day and all night, they blasted this song over loud speakers outside the compound. I like to believe that it was the song that eventually led to David Koresh losing his mind and burning everything he'd worked for his entire life.

What would that say to you if you were the writer or performer of that song? I can just see the FBI boss guy being like, "Hmm...we've got to drive these guys out. What can we possibly do? What could we do that would make their lives in the compound so miserable that they would go insane and give up?"

I can see the guy at the long table in the board room who responded. I'm betting he was new on the job--a real eager beaver. "Uh...boss?" The experienced agents roll their eyes wondering how he'll make a fool out of himself. "I was listening to the radio today and I heard this song..."

The boss looks at the American flag in the corner of the room and walks over to the window. He pauses as if to take in the scene outside the window for a moment. He slowly rocks from his toes to his heels, turns around and casually takes off his glasses. "I don't like it," he replies, "I love it. Get a blank tape and record 'These Boots are Made for Walking' in the same fashion Ben Belnap made his tape of 'Highway to the Danger Zone' in 1987--the same song recorded over and over again on both sides of the tape. Let's put this thing to bed." And he walks out of the room without calling the meeting to a close.

And so the tale was born.

But on this 16th anniversary, I'm driven to think what song would drive me to insanity, pushing me to the point of burning everything I own and have worked for my whole life for, including my family and loved ones. I have come up with three finalists as I have racked my brain over the past few days. I present them with no explanation and in no particular order. I simply dedicate them to David Koresh on the 16th anniversary of his death.

David, if you really are in hell, these songs are probably playing all the time over Satan's loudspeakers anyway, but I dedicate them to you nonetheless.

Number 1: "Muskrat Love" by Captain and Tenille



Number 2: "Rag Doll" by Aerosmith



Number 3: "Homies" by the worst 'band' of all time, Insane Clown Posse

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Um....These songs have effectively made me really, really upset. Like, emotionally upset.

The ICP are sick humans.

I need to just walk away from the computer now...

lisa said...

Dude, be careful what you say about the ICP. Juggalos will totally cut you without hesitation.

Unknown said...

They'll totally cut you! Aaah! They just suck so bad!

Bop said...

lol. you are a sick person benjamen. i can't BEILIEVE you don't like rag doll. jugalos 4EVER...ya....i got a hatchet man on my car, and i wear black shi* wit zipaz all ova.

Ben said...

HA!! You've got ridiculous Juggalo cred!!

Stivens said...

You won't believe it but I overheard two teenagers going back and forth on the lyrics to the Neden Game at the Pat Tillman Run on Saturday. This post makes two ICP encounters in 3 days for me, ten years after they were popular. One of my Waco songs would be my name is by Eminem. 1999, a great year for white rappers from Detroit.

Ben said...

Throw Kid Rock's debut on the charts, and you're embarrasses to even claim 1999 Detroit as U.S. soil.

Corrigan Law said...

I think Kyle and I went to an Insane Clown Posse concert in high school, but the memories are a little hazy...imagine that. ICP shows must be like what my Dad says about the 60's..."if you remember it, you weren't there."

Ben said...

Why am I not surprised?

Bop said...

every two weeks will work for now sexxy-back, but when are you gonna do this full-time? just LOOK at your fan base, you OWE it to us...

Unknown said...

Dude, you owe me one for "Brother Ali." Your Bishop Allen find, might balance it out, but, dude, he sucks.

Rob, Diane, Alyse Stephens said...

FREAKING HILARIOUS! You are quite the writer. Good to see you have not lost your sense of humor. My blog does not even compare.

The Real Indian said...

How did you manage not to get trolled to high heaven by Juggalos by now?