Monday, March 2, 2009

I got a D+??


Funny Tommy Boy Clips -

I think the first 50 seconds of this clip sums it up. Yes indeed, faithful readers, I have passed. How do I feel? Well, I think the best of the British Invasion of the 1960s sums that up on my playlist thing.

I know you're all thinking, "Why hasn't Ben updated his blog in so long?" and "I can't survive any longer if Ben doesn't post on his awesome blog." etc. etc. Well wait no more ye faithful followers, I have returned.

As it turns out, there are these tests called 'prelims' in my program that one must pass before he or she is able to begin his or her dissertation. Testing material for prelims consists of four years of course work and an an article list of 200 articles. Preparation for these tests consumed my life for about 2 months. My family suffered, my work suffered, but worst of all, you, my blog readers suffered--waiting in agony for the next post. I hope you accept my sincerest apologies.

Ok, so the first portion is the oral testing. This is where the professors in my program grilled me on articles from the list and I had to come up with material to show I had read them. It was intense, but I passed that portion.

The next section was the essay portion. This consisted of one essay question from each of the five professors in my program. This took all day long. Literally from 8 until 5. Ben Springer, my faithful friend and companion throughout this process, was done by 3:45, but not being as cognitively gifted, I took the full 9 hours. Although there were a few speed bumps along the way, like learning that I don't really know the legalities of the American Psychiatric Association's Code of Ethics, I passed. And like Thomas Callahan III, I too likely earned a D+, and that is just fine by me. I now have only one hoop remaining before you--every last one of you--will refer to me as Dr. Benjamin Bruce Belnap. I will accept no other title. Maybe Dr. Ben--like when really pretentious MDs or PhDs try to keep it real. Like, "Hey, I'm cool. We're buds--but don't forget I'm a doctor along the way, you worthless piece of crap."

Yes, if only those playground bullies could see me now. Yeah, maybe I still look a little sickly. Yeah, perhaps I still enjoy a good game of hopscotch and jumprope with the girls. But after a mere four years in graduate school, I am only a dissertation away--one year at the very soonest--from being a doctor--a fake doctor...you know the PhD kind. That'll show them. Now if you could excuse me, I need to go hold my pillow tightly and weep for awhile. I'll be ok. Don't worry about me. I love graduate school. I'm so glad I did this. No regrets. Why are you looking at me like that? I said I have no regrets...now leave me alone!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes!

Bop said...

good job bro, i figure i'm about four years from my associates degree...and i only have math and english left! do you get a title with your associates degree? besides dumbass...

cheers

scotty 'read or perish' allgier

(i'm suprised/impressed you remebered my last name)

Stivens said...

Congratulations.
A bit of advice one fake doctor to another. First, change your driver's liscense to Dr. Ben Belnap. Cops take it easier on you when they pull you over and if you are ever in a bad crash you will get the "good" treatment at the hospital. Second as a PhD in phsychology, how long until you shoot the pilot for your daytime talk show? I recommend you call it Dr. Nap and the moms can watch it when their children are sleeping.

lisa said...

I think you need to go with something more hip and cool, so the kids know that you really "get" them. I think either "Doctor B." or "Doctor Bizzle (fo shizzle)". They both get the point across that you do have hip-hop street cred, but you are authoritative as well. That's the kind of respect you should be demanding.

That's the kind of respect I plan to give you from now on.

Luke Williams said...

Ben,
Congratulations on getting through that! It sounds horrible...
Oh, and I'm taking full responsibility for bumping you from a D to a D+, as the stimulating magic energy from my EP honed your intellect during the final month of preparation.

Pete said...

Now that we are "out of the closet" sort of speak regarding each others blogs I can comment without feeling like a stalker. Congrats on the getting a phud. Is it ok if I call you Dr. Smartass. :)

Vanderlinden Clan said...

Ok ok I being my first comment ever I probably haven't earned enough stripes to call you that. For now I will call you Dr. Smarter then me.

Ben said...

Both of those names are completely appropriate and encouraged.