Sunday, January 20, 2008

Earth Glue: Martin Luther King Day

Hello and happy Martin Luther King Day,

I don't have a lot to say about this week's song selection. I kept it seasonally appropriate, though. I am still fascinated by the fact that I don't have to work tomorrow because it is MLK Day. You see, growing up in Idaho, it was just another day. School in session, banks working, etc. The opening day of the deer hunt, though, that is another story. Banks closed, school out, etc.

So, about my song selection...

I have chosen the song "Dr. King" by Mason Jennings, who is absolutely my favorite artist. An old roommate of mine, Jake Steed, came across Mason in a search for Jack Johnson songs. Mason's name popped up as a related artist. They definitely have a similar style. Mason is a little less poppy than Jack, and I say that with all due respect to Jack. I love...seriously have a man-crush on Jack Johnson. Saying someone's music has a pop sound has a negative connotation, but that doesn't necessarily mean the artist is part of a boy band produced in some studio. It means there's a catchy, attractive feel to the music, in my opinion. And if a person doesn't like an artist or song because it is to "poppy", they're clearly into their particular music because of the image it provides them. Anyway, that's neither here nor there. Where was I? Ah yes, Mason Jennings. Love the man. I should say as a side note that Mason is an acquired taste for most. But I believe those types of artists often have the longest-lasting relationships with their listeners.

Mason Jennings FAQ:

Ben, what if I can only buy one album?
I would probably say Century Spring, released in 2002. But Use Your Voice and Simple Life are not far behind.

Ben, what if I can only do one song?
Why, why would you put me in this position? I would say don't even bother checking him out. Only downloading one Mason Jennings song would be like going to the trouble of getting a super-model's number and never calling her. If you're going to do it, go through with it all the way.

Ok, enough. So "Dr. King" is off of the Birds Flying Away album. It's obviously a dedication to MLK. It's very nice. It draws parallels between MLK and Jesus...very touching song. In the song you will hear below, I have added clips of MLK's "I have a dream..." speech in parts of the song with no singing. I have also added various pictures from the civil rights movement into a slide show to go with the song. There aren't any neat special effects or anything, just some good pictures and a good song with MLK's voice added in. I hope you like it.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Down right touching. Did you make the video?
You skilled beast! You've sold me on Mason Jennings, the jury is still out on Bob Dylan.

Chanda said...

Loved it.