Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Earth Glue: Lawn mowing albums and songs that speak to your soul

A little autobiography. Forgive me.

Part One:

When I was a young lad, it was my responsibility to mow our immense lawn in Montpelier, Idaho. When I tell you that it was an entire acre, I am not kidding. It took hours. Well, as a 15-year-old, I got a Discman for Christmas. You remember Discmans? They were awesome. Mine took 8 AA batteries, and they lasted about 6 hours. Anyway, I was very excited about this Discman. The first idea that came to mind on how I would use it was for mowing the lawn. However, it was too large to carry with me while I mowed, so I spent the rest of the winter coming up with a plan on how to use it while mowing the lawn. I've never claimed to have any ingenuity, and consequently, when the summer arrived, the only idea I had come up with was to duct tape the cd player around my chest under my shirt. If it were over my shirt it would have skipped too much. It needed to be as secure as possible. My next task was finding an album that was so good that I would not have to skip any songs...a lawn mowing album. Tom Petty Greatest Hits was the closest I could find at the time, but "Don't Come Around Here No More" messed it up. At that particular time in my life, I was unaware of the amazing music that came out in the early nineties, available at my fingertips, so finding a 'lawn-mowing' album was difficult.

Part Two:

I will be forever indebted to Jordan Pope. He was a great friend, and I have unfortunately fallen out of touch with him, though we both live in the SLC area. When I was 15, I went on a school trip with Jordan and some other friends to London. After listening to Green Day Dookie seven times in a row on the airplane, I was tired of it (and have been ever since, to be honest). Jordan handed me an album from a music group of whom I not heard as we landed. "Try this cd," he said, "I think you'll like it." I grabbed it, thanked him, and put it in my Discman. I did not have time to listen to it as I got my luggage at the airport, but as soon as we got on the bus from the airport, I played it. The first song, I thought was a little weird, so I skipped to the second. What transpired at that moment was a life-changing experience. This song spoke to my soul. I know that sounds dramatic...it is. But it is the only way I can describe it. A friend of mine comes the closest to matching the description by saying "mind-blowing (Springer, 2006)".

I sat back in my seat on the bus and listened as this song from Jordan Pope spoke to my soul while we made our way into London. I remember everything like it was yesterday...the weather, the sites, but mostly the sensation deep inside of me that overwhelmed me as this song spoke to my soul. I remember hoping the song would never end. And when it did, I closed my eyes, took a few deep breaths, and continued on with the rest of the "mind-blowing (Springer, 2006)" album.

That album was the first true lawn-mowing album I experienced, and that song was the first song that ever truly spoke to my soul. So without further adieu, I offer you the title track off of Radiohead's second album, The Bends. Thank you, Jordan Pope.

May this song speak to your soul as it did mine, and may you find this album and duct tape it to your chest in a Discman. You will be happy for the 6 hours your batteries will last you, but miserable for the 2+ hours it will take you to get the duct tape off.





Reference:

Springer, B.J. (2006). What makes a song "mind-blowing". Discussions en route to Daybreak Elementary, (2)1.

No comments: