Monday, March 31, 2008

I'd like you to meet Mason Jennings

Hello, there is an artist to whom I'd like to introduce you this evening. I've actually referenced him before, but I'll do it again tonight. His music constitutes about 50-60 percent of my listening.

Mason is on my mind because I have found yet another tie between him and Jack Johnson (in fact, remind me to feature a great song that they sing together in the coming weeks). I love Jack Johnson. Everything about him is so great. He's just a really nice guy...it seems. And he's really humble...or appears as such. And his music is mind-blowing.

His new album is fantastic. It's called "Sleeping Through the Static". His ability to put 12 great songs on every album truly blows me away. There are no other artists who can consistently do that. My very favorite artists even have lowlights on their albums, but Jack is so consistent with every album. So he owns is own label, Brushfire Records that is everything one would want from a record label--great artists, independent, and even environmentally friendly. The whole thing is run from solar power. So I'm reading Rolling Stone the other day and it talks about Mason Jennings, to whom this post is dedicated. He has been buddies with Jack Johnson for quite some time, but Rolling Stone indicated that Mason recently joined Brushfire Records. He also told RS that the first time he met Jack Johnson was after he (Mason) had been performing. He got off the stage, and a man whom he later recognized as Jack Johnson said, "Hey, that was really good. Why don't you go up there and play some more?" So he did. And, thus, my love for Mason was deepened. So, it is Mason Jennings to whom I would like to introduce you. An old roommate discovered him about 6 years ago by searching for Jack Johnson music. Mason came up under 'related artists'. So I will give you the first song of Mason's that I ever heard as your Earth Glue installment this week. It's called "Living in the Moment" I think. Enjoy. Wow, I just read this post. That was a really round-about way to getting to the subject. Thanks for sticking with me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Homeboy is coming in concert soon. Wanna go?

Ben said...

fo sho. when and where?

Unknown said...

Wednesday, May 21
The Palladium