Sunday, March 2, 2008

I was bound for Mexico...

Again, my apologies to my faithful readers. I am very sorry. Please don't give up on me. I will do better from now on. That is a promise. I can't lose you, so please hang on (that's you, Liz, Dave, Hannah...please). I'm not desperate though, I swear. Not at all.

So this week has been very nice. I had a real kick-in-the-pants weekend last weekend in Mexico. Now that sounds a little more glamorous than it really is. Turns out, a couple of friends and I drove all night last Thursday, went 2 hours below the border past San Diego, spent Friday and Saturday there, drove back Saturday night and Sunday. So we totally planned on having beautiful, 70-degree days, but as it turns out, we got there and it was nearly hurricane force winds and about 45-50 degrees. We're trying like mad to get the tent just stand up and running on no sleep when Brandon, the guy who threw all this together and the only real surfer on the trip, suggests that we go surfing. After choking back a few tears at the thought of going in the water that would have been mind-numbing even in 80 degree sunlight, I figured I didn't want to be a pansy, so I went along. Yeah, I'm a follower, and it's gotten me nowhere in life. So here's our first descent to the beach and water in the hurricane. I'm on the right with Brandon, the real surfer, on the left. So we paddled out...

And I got tossed around in the torrential gale like a rag doll...

I was actually completely shocked at how well the wetsuits we had insulated us. The water was only 50 degrees, and still I could stay out there for a long time and not even feel the chill of the water. It was amazing. Anyway, the next day, Saturday was beautiful.

Oh yeah, and when we got there it was so windy that we had to set up the tent by a satan worshiper crack house for shelter. It was a little creepy, but don't tell anyone I told you.
But, yeah...it was a lot nicer the next day. We played football on the beach, surfed (or got tossed around in waves and suffocated in salt water in my case), read on the beach. It was just great. Oh, the fresh fish tacos were unparalleled.
Here we are hanging out on the beach. That's me in the middle on the chair in the wetsuit, Christian on the left and Brandon on the right. Not pictured is Ben Springer, from whom I got all these pictures, and who is responsible for any pictures we have. Thanks, Ben.
It was just great. So, that said, we had a theme song of the trip that is featured in this Earth Glue installment. Christian, again, on the left in the brown shirt, introduced us to the Old Crow Medicine Show (pictured on right). We all loved them and must have heard the following song 15 times. I hope you like it. It's got a great bluegrass sound and feel and you can't help but tapping your toe and hoping you could get rocked like a wagon wheel, whatever that means. Thanks, Christian. Enjoy, everyone. This is the Old Crow Medicine Show with "Wagon Wheel."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It was a stolen weekend where bazoombas were flaunted and locals were taunted. It was a good time, dude. You didn't just hang 10, brah...it was 11!

Ben said...

yeah brah